The specific tasks that the 11x17 laser printer will be used for is the overall biggest consideration. The question is not as easily answered as 'I want to print posters'. There are several different questions buried in just that one. Consideration will need to be given to the following items:
1. What will be printed? Text, photos, line art, posters, banners, newsletters, brochures, newspaper, magazines, architectural drawings, trade show displays, etc. Depending on what you print and the quality needed will partially determine if you need a higher end 11x17 laser printer with more RAM and a higher processor speed.
2. What type of material will be printed on? Copy paper, card stock, glossy, envelopes, stickers, transparencies, etc. Make sure the 11x17 laser printer you purchase can handle the type of material you want to print on. Make sure to consider the final display environment for this material, whether it be indoor or outdoor. That will make an impact on your material decision.
3. Is color required for the specific use of the 11x17 laser printer? Will you use color enough to justify the additional cost of a color 11x17 laser printer or can you take your color needs to an outside vendor?
4. What format will the printed output be delivered? Will it be bound, stapled, folded? Is duplex printing a requirement? Additional features may be needed on the 11x17 laser printer to accommodate the delivery format. For example, an additional paper tray may need to be dedicated to three hole punch paper for a bound finished product.
Additional consideration will need to be given to the following questions:
5. How frequently will 11x17 output be printed? Frequently, occasionally If there will be a more frequent requirement for this type of output, then the 11x17 laser printer may need to have a paper tray that is dedicated to 11x17 paper.
6. What is the budget? A 11x17 laser printer can cost from $500 - $6,000 depending on the functionality provided. Many are in the $1,000-$3,000 range. But the cost of the printer is not the only cost consideration. Larger toner cartridges and paper will need to be bought for a 11x17 laser printer in addition to the regular 8 x 11 toner cartridges and paper.
It's a lot to consider when purchasing a 11x17 laser printer. Here's some options to get your started on your 11x17 laser printer purchase. HP, Konica Minolta, Ricoh, Xerox and Okidata all have some good solid reviews on their 11x17 laser printers.
For more information on a 11x17 laser printer visit us at http://www.laserprintercompany.com